jeff on 12 Jul 2007 01:17:34 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Dell linux

Alex Launi wrote:

When Was it that you spoke with them?

3pm?

They have been offering PCs with
free-dos for quite a while, and now as we all know Ubuntu pre-installed,

I mentioned that this was for their corporate customers.
They have different lines for different purposes. Dimensions are latest and greatest (and cheapest), with no guarantee they'll have the same video card from week to week. Corporate machines are pretty locked down in terms of hardware, with very little changing, if at all. XP was kept as an option before they brought it back for consumer line pc's.

Btw, I didn't know about free-dos. I don't visit the consumer side of the page so I wouldn't see it if it were offered.

As for corporate customers, there's been lots of noise recently about
them starting to sell Linux to SMBs. I think the rumour is that the
official announcement is going to be at LinuxWorld.

That would be great!
I only know what my rep told me. He knows of my great love for Windows and would definitely tell me if he knew anything about support for corporate linux. Of course this could just mean he wasn't aware of it...

P.S. Dell's website sucks eggs. Assuming you can log in, trying to find a flash drive can be a 15 minute experience. Their E-Cart seems to occasionally have a hole in it, allowing the items to fall out the bottom. Sometimes when you hit NEXT PAGE, it tells you it can't find the page.

Does Vista come in a web server edition?  :)

-=-=-
... avoid the Microsoft Tax - use linux!