Jon Nelson on 12 Jul 2007 13:21:14 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Dell linux

On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 20:14 -0400, Alex Launi wrote:

> When Was it that you spoke with them? They have been offering PCs with
> free-dos for quite a while, and now as we all know Ubuntu pre-installed,
> so there is the avoiding the MS tax even if you don't use Ubuntu.
>
> As for corporate customers, there's been lots of noise recently about
> them starting to sell Linux to SMBs. I think the rumour is that the
> official announcement is going to be at LinuxWorld.
>
> > * There are no plans to offer corporate linux anywhere on the horizon.
> >
> > * Dell cannot sell anything but a server w/o an OS.  Period.  If you
> > want to install linux, you still have to pay the MS Tax.
> - --

For those of you who don't get Linux Journal there was a sidebar in the
June 2007 issue about this subject.  Here are some links that might be
of interest:

    http://www.dellideastorm.com/recent check out the "Ideas in Action"
    tab

    http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board?board.id=sw_linux