Matthew Rosewarne on 12 Jul 2007 05:28:49 -0000

Re: [PLUG] rpm -Va using apt = debsums

On Thursday 12 July 2007, JP Vossen wrote:
> I am aware of aptitude (which Debian is now pushing over apt-get [1])
> and my script will use that instead of apt-get when it's available.  You
> have a good point about home brew scripts, I just vastly prefer command
> line interfaces in most cases.  'deb find foo' brings up all the
> packages related to foo in a nice little 'less' window, and I am quite
> happy with that.

Actually, aptitude is merely another wrapper around the same APT system as
apt-get (libapt-pkg).

For finding relationships between packages, I would recommend checking out
the "debtags" tool that can query various tags that are attached to packages,
which describe their purpose, interface, or implementation.  The relatively
new tool "ept-cache" brings APT and debtags together into one utility, as
well as the popularity contest data (think last.fm applied to packages) and a
full-text index of all package descriptions.  The relatively new KDE package
manager "adept" uses the same infrastructure, called "libept".

> Kinda.  Yum is an add-on that makes RPM almost as good as APT in terms
> of package repositories and dependency resolution.  Before yum, rpm was
> not nearly as easy to use as APT (Google RPM dependency hell :).  But in
> general I know what you mean and agree.  I'm just translating things I
> know how to do in RPM to APT.

In terms of implementation, RPM is not equivalent to APT, but to dpkg.  They
both handle the on-disk package files, including installation, removal, and
other low-level manipulation.  dpkg and RPM alone cannot automatically handle
dependencies and package repositories, as they operate on individual package
files.  APT and YUM both provide higher-level functionality to automatically
resolve dependencies (including conflicts) and fetch packages from remote
repositories, among other things.  It is APT and yum that allow the users to
simply request a package to install by name, instead of requiring them to
manually find, download, and then install the package with RPM or dpkg.  APT
isn't even dependent on any particular package format, as it can use either
RPM or dpkg packages.  I don't believe yum currently has the ability to use
package systems other than RPM.

One "problem" (depending on your viewpoint) with the "rpm" tool is that it
tries to cover more of the scope of package management than a low-level
packaging system should.  dpkg+APT keeps a clearer separation between
low-level packaging and higher-level management.  dpkg+APT is currently in a
better state than RPM+yum (or urpmi, zypp, up2date...) because RPM had a long
lull in its development, though it has reawakened lately.

Hope this sheds some light on the topic.