W. Chris Shank on 13 Jul 2007 14:41:32 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Dell linux

If you buy a PC with a Vista license, Vista will be installed. How do you use that license to get XP on the PC and who installs it? What license key do you use?

----- Original Message -----
From: jeff <jeffv@op.net>
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2007 12:53:37 PM GMT-0500
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Dell linux

W. Chris Shank wrote:
> Did they mention how to go about installing XP if you have a Vista license? What media do you need and what key can you use?

They weren't specific but perhaps I don't understand your question.

If I got one in today, I'd plug in the XP license if the Vista license
didn't work.  I haven't seen Vista yet, though, so I don't know.  The
terms of the Vista license allow you to install an OS one level back.  I
don't know if this involves jiggering with Open or not.

You are dead on with your description of the different Dell lines.
I was so happy when they moved commercial support out of other
countries.  Now the strangest accent I hear is from Austin :)

Now if they would only get rid of the scripts.....

"Yes, I *know* to reseat every connector, cpu, and the RAM before I call."

W. Chris Shank
ACE Technology Group, LLC
www.myremoteITdept.com
(610) 640-4223