george on 21 Jul 2007 21:09:00 -0000

[PLUG] Location bar appears and disappears in debian's File Browser

Recently I noticed while copying files from one hard drive to another
that the location bar in File Browser (in my sarge flavor of debian)
comes and goes.  One time, I can see the full path to the folder that
is open, next time, all I see is the name of the folder at the top of
the window.  Sometimes, the location bar starts to appear and then gets
erased as the file browser completes its listing of the files in that
folder.

I do not leave spaces in my filenames, and the names are usually no
more than thirty characters long.  Nothing but alphanumeric characters
are in these names.  A typical path for which the location bar fails
to appear is /home/george.  That folder contains one file with 46
alphanumeric characters, including several underlines.

Needless to say, the absence of the location bar can lead to serious
errors, such as finding that two folders match exactly, so it's safe
to delete one ... whereupon they both vanish into the wastebasket.

"Location Bar" is checked in the Preferences box whether or not it
actually appears in the File Browser window.

Is this a bug ?

George Langford
georgesbasement