Mark Baker on 24 Jul 2007 18:16:21 -0000

[PLUG] Distributed command & kvm utilities

Hello,

I have been using a tool called the distribulator for the last few months and it has saved me hours of tedious work.  I thought I would share the info to try to help anyone else who is managing a large number of servers with little or no help J

Using a simple script and Ssh keys this tool automates the process of running the same command on several servers, such as a bi-weekly up2date or a larger software rollout.  It has the ability to copy files to each server or open interactive shell to each.  I have it setup with different environments so that I can run a subset of my servers, such as all of my production servers, test servers, or development servers.  I have also added the user that  the program runs as to the sudoers file so that I can run commands as root on each server without being prompted for passwords and have a script that installs the ssh keys for the user to each new server a bring online.  The installs script is simple but I would be happy to share it with who ever may be interested.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/distribulator/

I have also recently started using another tool called synergy which has been great. Synergy uses a network connection to allow you to share a keyboard and mouse between workstations.  I use two workstations at my desk and instead of using a clunky kvm, I simply move my mouse cursor to the edge of the first monitor and it appears on the second workstation and brings the keyboard functionality with it.

I hope this can help some you and it isn’t old news.  If anyone else has any tools they have been using to simplify network or server management, please let me know.

Thanks,

Mark