TuskenTower on 27 Jul 2007 02:58:35 -0000

[PLUG] Building a MythTV setup

  • From: TuskenTower <tuskentower@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: [PLUG] Building a MythTV setup
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 22:58:31 -0400
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

All,
After the meeting Bhaskar and I spoke for a bit about what it would
take to build a low power frontend and backend for MythTV.  Building
this setup isn't that easy, with choosing silent and low power
components that can handle the recording and playback of HD content.

This thread is meant for participation.  Maybe we should find a wiki
to (ab)use.  Anyone who wants to talk should join in.

My thoughts on a setup:
Two HDHomeRun network tuners to service the backend system.

Backend:
  Thecus YES Box N2100 hackable NAS running debian with MythTV
installed.  The NAS has two GigE NICs and two HD bays.  Since the
tuner will handle, well, tuning, all the N2100 needs to do is write to
a disk and stream content.  The box is underpowered which means it
probably won't be able to do some of the compression that the backend
is meant to do.

Frontend:
  Based around the VIA EPIA EX10000EG Mini-ITX Mainboard which has
Component video out (the board has a dedicated HDTV processing chip)
and coax/optical S/PDIF out.  I'm not sure if this board will work
with Linux though.

Links:
Silent PC Review
http://www.silentpcreview.com/