Mag Gam on 29 Jul 2007 17:59:24 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VMWare performance tuning

  • From: "Mag Gam" <magawake@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] VMWare performance tuning
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 13:59:19 -0400
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Chris:

This is a major pitfall of "virtua-LAZY-ation". Have you ever noticed vendors (Vmware, IBM, and Sun)  never mention this during their Roadshows?

Anyway,

here is how we tried to address the problem our environment (AIX APV), the same concepts should apply:
Backups: Make sure you schedule your backups accordingly. Ie. Only 1 server is being backed up at a time
Use a SAN: Place your vmware images on a SAN and utilize  MultiPath I/O(MPIO) software such as EMC PowerPath. MPIO will loadbalance what adapters are busy and start sending data thru the other Fiber Adapter, this can increase performance by 50% percent. Keep in mind you need atleast 2 adapters.
Striping on Disks: Since you are using RAID5, you are already using this, so don't stripe again :-)
Mirroring: Make sure nothing is mirrored on the guest/client side. Your guest disks should NOT be mirrored, because they are already mirrored and redudant on the host end. This will be costly I/O
Placing data: Try to place your image data across various disks to you can spread the load.
Hardware: Buy new hardware :-). Try to buy more disk adapters (fiber or scsi), to spread the load.

HTH :-)