Claude M. Schrader on 29 Jul 2007 18:15:22 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VMWare performance tuning

On 13:59 Sun 29 Jul     , Mag Gam wrote:
>    Use a SAN: Place your vmware images on a SAN and utilize  MultiPath
>    I/O(MPIO) software such as EMC PowerPath. MPIO will loadbalance what
>    adapters are busy and start sending data thru the other Fiber Adapter,
>    this can increase performance by 50% percent. Keep in mind you need
>    atleast 2 adapters.

conveniently, vmware is owned by EMC, so they would be happy to sell you a
SAN. Turns out vmware becoming free was not just an act of goodwill.

>    Striping on Disks: Since you are using RAID5, you are already using
>    this, so don't stripe again :-)
>    Mirroring: Make sure nothing is mirrored on the guest/client side. Your
>    guest disks should NOT be mirrored, because they are already mirrored
>    and redudant on the host end. This will be costly I/O

depending on your budget, you could always move to scsi disks with a real
HW raid controller. Possibly even look into something like RAID 0+1

Claude