Mike Leone on 1 Aug 2007 21:55:33 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Upgrading Debian testing from kernel 2.4 to 2.6

Stephen Gran (steve@lobefin.net) had this to say on 08/01/07 at 09:35:
> On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 08:48:43AM -0400, Mike Leone said:
> > SO I never got around to upgrading my home server (running Debian
> > testing) from kernel 2.4 to 2.6. Then today I did some upgrades, and -
> > not paying too much attention - didn't realize that one of the things I
> > told it to upgrade requires libc6 for kernel 2.6.x.
> >
> > <SIGH>
> >
> > So now it won't install this version of libc6, without a kernel 2.6. I
> > tried to tell it to install linux-image-2.6.21, figuring that would get
> > me a kernel 2.6 machine. But of course, the kernel 2.6 won't install,
> > since apt-get is trying to install libc6 first (which is failing).
> >
> > So how do I fix this? I'd like to get to kernel 2.6.21, *then* install
> > the simple updates I was trying for (I was trying to upgrade aptitude to
> > the latest version, when I screwed myself over this way).
> >
> > Any help appreciated. The system (which is my mail server) is running,
> > and I won't reboot it (or touch it ... :-)) until I can get this resolved.
>
> apt will be preventing the kernel install because some of the helper
> tools will have been built against this version of the c library, and
> dependencies are making them uninstallable.  You basically have 3
> choices:
>
> Grab older versions of the helper tools from snapshot.debian.net and
> then install a 2.6 kernel.  The should be things like module-init-tools,
> initramfs-tools, and so on.

Is there a list of all the "and so on"? :-)

> Downgrade libc6.  dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.5.something
> may work, although you may need to force downgrade several other
> packages at the same time.

I did do a "dpkg -i " libc6_2.3, and it said it installed. However, apt-get
-f install still wants to install libc6_2.6.21.

> Drop in a hand build kernel, reboot into it, and then retry the upgade.

I did try to install linux-image-2.6.21, but it is complaining about an
initrd-image, which I haven't downloaded. If I try and download one, and
then do a "dpkg -i" on both linux-image and initrd-image, and reboot ...
will it boot? I wouldn't have libc6-2.6 installed (yet), since I would do
that after booting linux-image-2.6.21. Isn't that a Catch-22?