Doug Crompton on 10 Aug 2007 05:40:55 -0000

Re: [PLUG] FOSS-friendly VOIP providers?

Jeff,

 Sorry I did not respond sooner, I was away.

They have been more reliable than gizmo and at a lower price. I did
upgrade to the higher quality for 1.5/min vs 1/min price. Those prices may
have changed slightly. I suppose they are not a replacement because they
do not support 911.

I have minimized my POTS and I wrote a perl script that asterisk calls to
determine if the outgoing call is local or LD. If it is LD it goes to
VOIP. 800, 911, and local go to POTS. The table is taken from the phone
book for my calling area. This can often be a strange web of locations. I
can call center city but not 5 miles down the road, but I just let the
table lookup take care of it.

I was paying $45/month for POTS from Verizon that really had crap
coverage. Now down to about $18 and I charge the VOIP with $10 about every
3 months or so. I like the idea of paying for what I use. You can also set
the callerid to whatever you want, which is nice.

I canceled Verizon LD for a $5 charge to eliminate the $2/month they
charge even if you do not use it.

Doug

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007, jeff wrote:

> Doug Crompton wrote:
> > I use a few but my main provider is callwithus (callwithus.com) it is a
> > small shop linux based provider and provides sip and iax interfaces. The
> > have dids also but I do not have a did with them.
>
> We're going VOIP as a replacement.  We know people with Vonage who are
> quite happy with it.  callwithus looks interesting, DID included.  Are
> they reliable?  They say they're not a replacement for pots but not why.
>

> Thanks.
>
> -=-=-
> ... TANSTAAFL
> * TagZilla 0.066 * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *