Gabriel Farrell on 16 Aug 2007 13:49:28 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Beginner's Guide to Linux?

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 03:34:15PM -0400, Brent Saner wrote:
> i'm putting together some documentation and i was wondering if you could
> share with me some things you wish someone taught you about linux when you
> were a fresh n00b.
>
> so far, i have:
>
> the root account (warnings on being root, etc.)
> permissions
> device naming conventions in linux
> navigating the CLI (intro to things like cd, ls, cp, mv, rm(dir), cat, >,

It's hard for me to remember how uncomfortable with the concept I must
have been when I first used the CLI.  At the very beginner's level,
someone I know who has taught intro unix classes had a lot of success
when she told her students, "The command line is like instant messaging
your computer."  This analogy really helped some people to dive right
in.