Chuckk Hubbard on 16 Aug 2007 19:15:48 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Beginner's Guide to Linux?

  • From: "Chuckk Hubbard" <badmuthahubbard@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Beginner's Guide to Linux?
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:15:41 -0400
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 8/16/07, Matthew Rosewarne <mukidohime@case.edu> wrote:
On Wednesday 15 August 2007, Brent Saner wrote:
> BTW, this is for a LiveCD that's being developed...trying to make a
> "propaganda" disc. "see? linux isn't so scary after all. silly windows
> user!"

Be careful with propaganda.  If you promise something that Linux just can't
deliver, and people find that out, they not only won't trust you in the
future, but they won't trust Linux or Free software.

Agreed.  This happened to me a number of times.  I kept coming back, but some wouldn't.  I got so pissed that Linux wasn't what I expected, and had to admit that what I expected was the result of some misleading hype.  However, after learning of Linux's realtime audio abilities, and being gloated to by so many Mac user classmates, I had to get it figured out (which I did).

On the other hand, with things like Gnome Desktop, the differences of Linux are less clear to the average user.  You can use Linux for a long time, the same way you used Windows, without learning the CLI beyond a few basic utilities.  So maybe it isn't so scary after all.

-Chuckk