Toby DiPasquale on 23 Aug 2007 00:33:34 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Beginner's Guide to Linux?

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 07:55:41PM -0400, Mag Gam wrote:
> Best way to really learn Linux is use it. Reading a book or documentation
> helps, but without practical experience, you won't be able to really learn.
> A good idea is do something fun: create a media file server running Linux,
> and the clients can be anything like (Windoze/Linux). With this, you can
> actually hear/see what Linux is doing for you (plus its free) :-)
>
> Just my 2 cents...

+1. Also, you can get VMware Player and a Linux distro image for free
these days, so trying Linux out is literally two (albeit somewhat long)
downloads away.

Relevant links:

VMware Player: http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

Quick guide to getting Ubuntu rocking on VMware Player:

http://vntutor.blogspot.com/2007/06/run-ubuntu-linux-on-windows-xp-using.html

There are also resources out there on the Web detailing how to use VMware
Player to actually go through the install process (basically, you create a
blank VMDK file using QEMU's qemu-img utility and then hack a .VMX file
into existence either by hand or with one the generators and you're all
set; I did this when I was running Linux on the desktop to great effect).

--
Toby DiPasquale