Jason on 25 Aug 2007 14:12:38 -0000

[PLUG] FS: A nice PC (Core 2 Duo, custom built for a customer)

  • From: Jason <jcostom@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: [PLUG] FS: A nice PC (Core 2 Duo, custom built for a customer)
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 10:12:30 -0400
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Greetings all.

This wasn't much fun.  A customer (who let's just say isn't one any
more) asked me to build him a new PC.  He gave me some pretty specific
specs, which I followed.  It was to be for his son to play games on.
After I procured all the parts, built the system, and ran a 2-week
24x7 burn in for him (his request), he decided he can't afford the
system after all.  Needless to say, I've fired him as a customer.

Here's what it is...

Antec Black Case (no window, but the front does have a couple of
lights on it, not annoying though)
    - 450W Antec power supply
    - Front-mounted USB 2.0 (x2), Firewire-400 (x1), headphone/microphone jacks
Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP Motherboard
    - 6 USB 2.0 ports (4 rear, 2 front)
    - 2 Firewire-400 ports (1 rear, 1 front)
    - 7.1 Digital Audio out (toslink) (also has analog outputs)
    - eSATA port
    - 6 SATA connectors
    - 2 x 10/100/1000 Ethernet
    - 802.11g Wifi onboard (can be used as client or AP with Windows
drivers, may be possible with hostap tools even)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    - 2.4 Ghz Dual Core
    - Supports EM64T
    - Supports Intel VTX virtualization instructions
    - 4MB L2 Cache
2GB PC2-5300 RAM (2 x 1GB sticks)
Hard Drive: 160GB Seagate SATA-II drive (5 yr warranty from Seagate)
Optical: 16x DVD+/-RW (also -R +R +R DL, CD-R/RW)
Video: ATI Radeon x1950 Pro PCIe
    - 256MB GDDR3 Video RAM (all actual ram, no HyperMemory)
    - 256-bit memory interface
    - Crossfire compatible
    - 2 DVI-I ports (also supports dual-link DVI for driving huges displays)
    - S-Video output

Software currently installed: Windows XP Pro, and the Google Pack (hit
pack.google.com to see all the stuff it gives), also Mozilla
Thunderbird, Nero 7.0

The system was also built with Linux compatibility in mind.  Before
great.  If you'd prefer Linux on the system (and given this audience,
I can't see why you wouldn't prefer it), I'll be glad to format the
drive and drop a standard Ubuntu Feisty install on.

If you're of the mind to do Compiz/Beryl/Compiz Fusion, you may want
to use an Nvidia card instead of ATI.  If you do that, you'll have
native AIGLX support along with Compositing, and avoid the need for
using XGL.  I've got an eVGA GeForce 8600 GT with 256MB GDDR3 that I
could easily swap in at no extra cost.

I'm out $1100 in parts at this point on this system.  If I could get
that back, I'd be quite happy.  I'll also entertain any reasonable
offers.  FYI - I did spec out something similar at Dell's site (which
includes a really ugly case, 250GB drive vs 160, and the GeForce 8600
for $1600).

The system is at my home in Marlton, NJ.  Obviously, you're welcome to
inspect the system prior to committing to buy.