Greg Lopp on 25 Aug 2007 16:42:15 -0000

[PLUG] FS recovery tools?

  • From: "Greg Lopp" <lopp@pobox.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: [PLUG] FS recovery tools?
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 11:42:04 -0500
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

A friend had a U3 thumbdrive go "bad" on him.  This badness manifested in different ways on different flavors of Windows and thinking that it might just be some simple partition table or fat corruption, I offered to take a look.  Knowing that it could also be completely toes up, I made no promises.

When I plug it in, it enumerates as expected, presenting itself as two devices, one writable, one not (as a CD ROM)(where it would keep its U3 autorun and apps).  This is followed by a message about an unrecognized partition table type.

When I use dd to repeatedly to read the device, I get the same values each time.
Looking at the contents with hexdump, I find a strange, repeating bit pattern, all over the place :
df f2 05 a6 74 c7 55 71  76 b1 2d 3f 59 f0 e1 7f
This fills spaces that I would suspect are otherwise unwritten to.  Normally, I would expect FF or 00 in those spaces, but I don't know NAND flash like I should.  Additionally, I don't know partition table formats/offsets like I should.

I've used the end of that bit pattern as an indicator of "interesting locations" on the data image and tried to "mount -o loop,offset=${offset} backupImage /mnt" at each location.  The kernel looks for ext2, vfat and iso9660 at each offset, but it never finds a recognizable file system.

"strings backupImage" does not reveal anything that looks like files or filenames.

It appears I can still write to the device and read it back.

Can anybody recommend other things to try or recovery packages to play with?