Philly Geek on 25 Aug 2007 20:09:21 -0000

[PLUG] Help building and configuring a new webserver

  • From: "Philly Geek" <philadelphiaweb@gmail.com>
  • To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
  • Subject: [PLUG] Help building and configuring a new webserver
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 16:09:17 -0400
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Hi,

I'm new to Philly Linux community and haven't had the chance to come to any of the events yet.  This looks like a great resource though, and hopefully I'll be able to contribute something in time.

I've been running websites on LAMP shared hosting servers with cPanel for years.   But I've never built my own server from scratch.  There's a new project that I have in the works that requires me to quickly jumpstart my knowledge of the subject.  I could really use some help, so I don't end up wasting a lot of time.

I'm looking to hire someone informally to help me out with the project.  I need someone with experience picking server hardware and can give me some insight into installing and optimally configuring the necessary Linux software.  Any experience working with the dedicated hosting environment would be really useful.

I apologize if my inquiry is overly broad, but I'm still trying to narrow down the specifics of my requirements.  I can try to answer any particular questions you might have though.

Thanks.

Mike