bergman on 5 Sep 2007 00:01:22 -0000

Re: [PLUG] driver needed for installation?

In the message dated: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 19:40:15 EDT,
The pithy ruminations from Brian J Spooner on
<[PLUG] driver needed for installation?> were:
=> Hi,
=>
=> I wonder if someone could help me with this.
=>
=> I am trying to install RHEL4 on a new Dell optiplex 745.  (It came with XP

Nice box. I've just finished configuring 8 of them (Windows--ick).

Any particular reason why you're using RHEL4? Is this required by a particular
application or a required corporate build? I'm asking because RHEL4 (while
supported), is getting old--as you can tell by this kind of issue. I'd
seriously consider RHEL5, or CentOS5 if you don't have a RHEL license, instead.

=> installed, but I am booting with the RH installation disc and trashing the
=> XP.)  I did not get very far.  It read the first installation disk.  I got
=> past the language choice (English), keyboard (US), installation method
=> (local CD ROM).  But then I got the following message:
=>
=> "No Driver found
=> Unable to find any devices of the type needed for this installation type
=> Would you like to manually select driver or use driver disk."
=>
=> I have never seen anything like this before in the many installations I
=> have
=> done over the years.  what could the driver be needed for?  Have
=> there been hardware changes in the past 12 months (since I got the RHEL
=> discs I am using) that would cause this?

I believe that you need to put the SATA drive into "compatability" mode, since
there aren't Linux drivers that support the optical drive as a SATA device.

Go into the BIOS setup via F2, go to Drives, SATA Operation, and choose
"Legacy".

=>
=> I would be grateful for any ideas.

Hope this helps.

Mark

=>
=> brian
=>
=>
=>
=> Brian Spooner

-----
Mark Bergman    Biker, Rock Climber, Unix mechanic, IATSE #1 Stagehand

http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=bergman%40merctech.com

I want a newsgroup with a infinite S/N ratio! Now taking CFV on:
rec.motorcycles.stagehands.pet-bird-owners.pinballers.unix-supporters
15+ So Far--Want to join? Check out: http://www.panix.com/~bergman