K.S. Bhaskar on 5 Sep 2007 03:33:27 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Network based RAM

  • From: "K.S. Bhaskar" <bhaskar@bhaskars.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Network based RAM
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 23:33:18 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=RJcxlusGx1drYG5FL8tjpOcFV3B77ktI+ccX9NLmssh14iyS4PiheGONzDVqZwW/5dRAR1Ior8v32otKPvPeTp21D9CPJovvlYf25k/vJC27WN47N+7TinNmrnA4aYixcp/RHXxquyxCNKNniISZPKIbzLpklxlAa2npUxfWY5U=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 9/4/07, Stephen Gran <steve@lobefin.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 01:51:59PM -0400, Brent Saner said:
> > what would be nice in the future is to see consumer-level mobos with
> > hotpluggable RAM, maybe even externally. that'd solve this entire
> > problem.
> >
> > why stop there?  i think if every single thing could be hotswappable
> > (i give that technology about another 5-7 years to show up), it'd be
> > awesome. oh, bad processor?  swap a new one in!
> >
> > it'd be mind-boggling as to how that'd WORK, though...
>
> This has been available for decades on "server" hardware.  Mainframes
> allowed you to swap memory or cpus without taking the machine down, and
> even some relatively recent sun machines have pretty much everything hot
> swappable.

[KSB] IBM zSeries hardware has for years supported hardware called a
Parallel Sysplex.  Basically some v-e-r-y e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e RAM (along
with some goodies like an accurate clock) that provides shared memory
between systems that can be physically - perhaps even geographically
separated.  IBM haven't been able to break the speed of light yet, so
a Sysplex can't operate between systems that are very far apart.
Beyond my price range for a Christmas stocking stuffer, no matter how
neat it is to a geek.

-- Bhaskar