Joshua Karstendick on 5 Sep 2007 23:25:34 -0000

Re: [PLUG] HDHomeRun with non-digital, non-HD?

  • From: "Joshua Karstendick" <jjk52@drexel.edu>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] HDHomeRun with non-digital, non-HD?
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 19:25:29 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=nSYs9kU/ntZHMDuyx7o9pab3d+tcgrchLD2lNnMqNzmx++M1DhMl4NhTQDVGPos/Nn2Ik/vMIV0mOtmfXm0vOWGeFi+lMtETe4c8WmB5ZOvbv9r5YDkm4HKpuqzK0XcsQDJGkIPD8A14o8ip/RXTq8XgwGIvQhP4yepb97D0w8w=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

The switch to digital has been pending for a decade. All the same,
some day Congress will stop dragging its heels and force the change.

When they do, however, you'll be able to get a digital-to-analog
adapter so that you needn't chuck your old TV. Part of the reason for
the delay is that Democrats and Republicans can't agree over how much
to subsidize these adapters.

On 9/5/07, Brent Saner <brent.saner@gmail.com> wrote:
> you might be forced to switch to digital. supposedly by 2009, standard
> analog cable is going bye bye.
>
> that's what i've heard, i have no sources on that i'm afraid
>

> On 9/5/07, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
> > I'm toying with setting up a Myth TV box after Amul's preso.  I like the
> > idea of the external HDHomeRun box, but it looks like that's digital
> > only (
> http://www.silicondust.com/wiki/products/hdhomerun).  I
> have (and
> > am not going to change) the super-duper el-cheapo $17/mo Comcast
> > non-digital, non-HD, no nothing plan.
> >
> > I am not opposed to doing the over-the-air thing, but I have no HD TVs
> > and no immediate plans to get one.
> >
> > Can I use the HDHomeRun with my Comcast setup?  Can I play it on a 10
> > year old non-HD TV with only coax and RCA inputs?
> >
> > Another solution might be a TiVo Series 1 (and _TiVo Hacks_ :).
> >
> > Any thoughts or suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > JP
> >
> ----------------------------|:::======|-------------------------------
> > JP Vossen, CISSP            |:::======|
> jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org
> > My Account, My Opinions     |=========|       http://www.jpsdomain.org/
> >
> ----------------------------|=========|-------------------------------
> > Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
> > Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
> > and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
> > has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.

> --
> Brent Saner
> 215.264.0112 (cell)
> 215.362.7696(residence)