Art Alexion on 6 Sep 2007 18:18:19 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Network based RAM

On Thursday 06 September 2007 13:49:21 Walt Mankowski wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 12:15:19PM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:

> > > Two reasons right off the top of my head:
> > >
> > > 1) The individual RAM chip died.
> > > 2) You want to remove it and replace it with a bigger RAM chip.
> >
> > Those are reasons for /replacing/ RAM, but I read this hot-plugging as
> > adding and /removing/ RAM as in: "I think I need an extra GB of RAM to
> > encode this video. ... OK, done encoding.  I'll unplug it and go back to
> > 512k."
>
> Well, if you want to replace RAM, you've got to remove the old chip
> before you put in the new one...

I am sorry that I am not communicating well.  I was referring to removing RAM
as in

"My 1 gb RAM is too much.  I will remove 512k.  That should make things
better."

as opposed to

"Uh-oh, one of my RAM modules doesn't seem to be recognized any more; let me
remove it to the trash can and replace it with a shiny new one."

Hot swappable RAM seems to address the first scenario.  Shutting down, opening
the case and replacing or upgrading a module seems to address the second
scenario.

My question was addressed to the first scenario.  Why would anyone who has
added/increased RAM wish to remove/decrease RAM?