Walt Mankowski on 6 Sep 2007 18:31:43 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Network based RAM

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 02:17:13PM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> I am sorry that I am not communicating well.  I was referring to removing RAM
> as in
>
> "My 1 gb RAM is too much.  I will remove 512k.  That should make things
> better."
>
> as opposed to
>
> "Uh-oh, one of my RAM modules doesn't seem to be recognized any more; let me
> remove it to the trash can and replace it with a shiny new one."
>
> Hot swappable RAM seems to address the first scenario.  Shutting down, opening
> the case and replacing or upgrading a module seems to address the second
> scenario.
>
> My question was addressed to the first scenario.  Why would anyone who has
> added/increased RAM wish to remove/decrease RAM?

I think you might be misunderstanding why someone would want to
hot-swap ram.  I used to work in a shop with a lot of Stratus
minicomputers.  They were designed to be up all the time.  Everything
was redundant and hot-swappable.  Memory was expensive, and traffic
might vary on different servers.  So rather than ordering more boards,
it sometimes made sense to move ram from one box to another.

By far, though, the most common reasons you'd want to remove RAM would
be if it failed, or if you want to replace it with a bigger chip.

I agree that it doesn't seem to make much sense to pop in a chip just
because you want to run photoshop, then pull it out when you're done.

Walt