TuskenTower on 12 Sep 2007 18:32:49 -0000

Re: [PLUG] HDHomeRun with non-digital, non-HD?

  • From: TuskenTower <tuskentower@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] HDHomeRun with non-digital, non-HD?
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 14:32:44 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=xvXs5zl9Vb/3Sm5zCivY7B/O9xk9PXFUpKEJ7Nep+UI=; b=T6O21i3JlKQPIfuYEHJaIgXgwSrJE+JB8Q1r0/1ybBnlYRR2eYT9qtQ2rSg8MMboPdaiqOWtsEPg262oqTTNc1YWYqJt1MJWqoq+Pfgbk5pV1xN/FrdCRrzU6gm/SAA4WzrpPI0icLNiBHbAGIC6ju8TBVF8dJ91Ee9j1kJdYuo=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 9/6/07, Isaac Bennetch <bennetch@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 9/6/07, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
> > 1) Can I use the HDHomeRun with my old analog Comcast setup?
>
> No. The HDHomeRun specs say it has ASTC and QAM tuners, both of which
> are digital standards (ASTC is over-the-air and QAM is commonly used
> in digital cable).

I haven't been able to get my pchdtv 5500 cards to use QAM properly
(nor do I intend to because I am lazy), but my HDTV set has a sweet
QAM tuner that pulls in all the Clear QAM signals.  The Clear QAM
picks up the local HDTV broadcasts (although channel 3 seems to have
issues), and some... err... other channels.

So, you _should_ be able to use the QAM tuner for HD broadcasts.  I
know, you have an old set, but not everything is broacast in HD.

> > 2) Can MythTV feed a 10 year old non-HD TV with only coax and RCA
> > inputs?  If so, how does that work?

[cutting good advice]
If you are buying/building something new, pick up a motherboard with
integrated graphics.  I bought the ASUS m2npv-vm and so far it
displays HD content to my 56" HDTV.  The onboard video has RCA,
s-video, component, vga and DVI outs.  Of course my stupid HDTV can't
take the DVI from a computer.  Stupid HDMI specs.

If you are not buying new, stick with Isaac's advice.

HTH
Amul