JP Vossen on 21 Sep 2007 17:08:44 -0000

Re: [PLUG] personal finance application

Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 20:28:44 -0400
From: Dan Widyono <dan@widyono.net>
Subject: Re: [PLUG] personal finance application

I love gnucash.  It imports QIF.  I second what Doug said, including "I
haven't used the others since GC does what I want".  It does reports and you
can write new reports (in Scheme).  I've used it since 2003.

Jumping into the thread, since migrating off of Quicken 2003 is on my TODO list...

How about check printing?  We still actually do a fair amount of that.

Windows support (which IIRC is newly official), since my wife, who does the books, is still on that?

We also use TurboTax, so how well can they interface? May I assume if I set up GC correctly, it can export QIF that TT can then import?

Speaking of which, any TurboTax alternatives? I am not a big fan of Intuit's business practices (e.g. somewhat actively trying to disable < Q2005 or so to force an upgrade that many neither need nor want).

Thanks, interesting thread so far,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.