kamiza103 on 23 Sep 2007 08:47:50 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: CATV splitter

I'd suggest a distribution amp.  An amp with either a single boosted output, or multiple outputs.  From what I've read, analog devices need a stronger signal than digital devices.  You could use your cable modem to measure the signal strength coming in, then subtract signal losses for each splitter.

(If I were still in the US, I could give you a good deal on a 4-output amp, but I'm about 3000 miles away right now. heh)

JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
As you may just have seen, after Matt's MythTV Seminar on Saturday I'm
excited about putting a MythTV setup together, but I have a question
about CATV splitters.

My existing setup is as follows (need a fixed-width font):

--------+ < CATV in

[SSS]
| |
| +-----+ +---- [TV4]
| | |
[C. Modem] [SSSSS]
| | |
[TV 1,2,3]

As far as I know, this works fine. The cable modem has never had any
signal issues I am aware of and while the signal isn't perfect on the
TVs (hey it's Comcast, analog, $16/mo, no set-top boxes...) it's
acceptable to me.

Now, when I add 2 more tuners for my MythTV back-end server, they have
to get a signal from someplace. Based on where things physically are,
the quick 'n' dirty solution would be to split the up-to-now "dedicated"
cable modem line like so:

--------+ < CATV in

[SSS]
| |
| +--...

[SSSS]
[Modem][new tuners 1,2]

Will I regret that?

Another way to go might be to take the port away from the TV in my
office, split that into the tuners, and put front-end software on a
handy Ubuntu workstation with a wide-screen LCD. Like so:

--------+ < CATV in

[SSS]
| |
| +-----+ +---------+
| | | |
[C. Modem] [SSSSS] [SSS]
| | | | |
[TV 1,2,3] [Tn1] [Tn2]

That puts the additional front-end into my project critical path (or
deprives me of "Headlines" on Leno on Monday nights, but requires 1 less
split port.

Anyone have a source for "good" splitters? (I currently have whatever
junk I could find at the time.) So far I don't have any amps, and I've
heard they used to mess with the cable modem sometimes. Thoughts there?

TIA,
JP
JP Vossen, CISSP |:::======| jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org
My Account, My Opinions |=========| http://www.jpsdomain.org/
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.