jeff on 23 Sep 2007 20:55:01 -0000

[PLUG] What next? and small rant

Matt Mossholder wrote:
So, now that the first pass on MythTV is complete, I am wondering what
other topics people would like to see covered.  Does anyone have any
suggestions?

1. how to cure your dependence on tv

2. how to get your spouse interested in linux

3. how to get strippers interested in linux

4. elect a Super Linux Man, who shows up when someone says `it's too hard to work' or `if it's free, it's not worth anything'

5. form an all-linux band to spread the good word
(for now we shall ignore the question `what is an all-linux band?')

6. how to convince the VMware products to work after you've updated from Feisty to Gutsy

Number six is one I spent yesterday researching (although number three is never far from my heart). I like the concept of VMs and use Player to run linux on my Win box and Win on my lin boxes. After the upgrade, the only weirdness I noticed was that Player wouldn't run.

Parallel to this, I brought a small Dell server home to install 7.04 Server and VMServer. I figured this was better than W2003 and VMServer due to resources (and I hate Windows).

Ignoring the fact that my linux knowledge is spotty (I know some basics and some technical stuff but I'm undereducated). I got 7.04 server on without a hiccup (thank you Ubuntu). Someone suggested I'd need the GUI to install VM, which turned out to be true. `Install gnome and gdm, if you want graphical login' they said.' I did and it didn't. Oops - gnome no come with xorg.

Then I untarred VMServer. BOOM - couldn't build VMMON. Searched on errors - I'm not the only one having this problem and it probably isn't Gutsy. DL any.any update - no go. Research further. DL updated any.any update - still nothing. Research again. DL Ubuntu pkg because solution was for RPM system. Re-apply any.any updated update - Finally Success! (in the form of no error message).

So up pops my first server, with absolutely no indication of VM being installed. Dammit - am I going to have to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS? I hate reading instructions. Oh boy - it wants me to control everything from a different server. But wait - I found the console.

Right now I'm building some base vm's. They recommend running full screen for best performance. It just `rebooted' and the screen looks like it's underwater. Back to a window. Much better.

Not to say this is frustrating, but if my hair weren't falling out due to faulty genes, I'd be pulling it out. If I were at work, I'd have my first case of airborne linux, largely due to a case of airborne server.

It truly doesn't need to be this difficult, but I'm at a loss as to what to do to make it less difficult. Sure, I could spend more time educating myself, but I'm not exactly sure what to study. The VM docs tell you how to work it but not how to troubleshoot it. I already know how to use Google.

It seems to come with the linux territory.
This is killing my smugness when I proclaim to the Windows folks that I use the superior OS. Sure, I don't have to reboot all the time -- once I manage to get it installed.