Matthew Rosewarne on 24 Sep 2007 00:35:41 -0000

Re: [PLUG] What next? and small rant

On Sunday 23 September 2007, jeff wrote:
> 1. how to cure your dependence on tv

1. Buy hammer (larger is better)
2. Apply hammer to television
3. If problem persists, apply hammer to self, repeat

> 2. how to get your spouse interested in linux

It's always about Linux with you, what about MY needs?

> 3. how to get strippers interested in linux

That's easy, bring along your friends Jackson, Grant, and maybe even Franklin.

> 4. elect a Super Linux Man, who shows up when someone says `it's too
> hard to work' or `if it's free, it's not worth anything'

Sounds like Gartner Man or Ballmer Man, not any sort of Linuxish Man.

An all-linux band would need these: http://www.linuxguitar.org/

> 6. how to convince the VMware products to work after you've updated from
> Feisty to Gutsy

I find that building proprietary things on Linux is an exercise in
frustration, and also a test of luck/patience.  I'd recommend using QEMU
instead of VMWare, since it's GPL, works well, and is already packaged
properly.  It can use VMWare images and run on Windows as well as Linux, so
compatibility shouldn't be any problem.

For Windows:
http://www.davereyn.co.uk/download.htm

For Debian/Ubuntu:
install the packages "qemu" & "kqemu-source", also "module-assistant" if you
don't already have it.
use module-assistant to build a kqemu module for your kernel with the command:
	module-assistant auto-install kqemu
You can either run qemu from the terminal, or you can install one of the
frontends to make things easier, such as 'qtemu" (Qt) or "qemulator" (GTK).

If you have a new CPU with Intel VT/AMD-V support, you can use KVM instead of
kqemu for a speed boost, but I have no experience with that, seeing as my
machine should be in a museum.