JP Vossen on 25 Sep 2007 17:19:12 -0000

Re: [PLUG] One Laptop per Child project - Worldwide Linux

> Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:12:07 -0400
> From: "Joshua Karstendick" <joshdick@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] One Laptop per Child project - Worldwide Linux
>
> I'm looking forward to buying one of these laptops in November. For
> $400, you get one and so does a needy child.

Yeah, some details at: http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/07/09/24/0217254.shtml

I'm thinking about this, and unlike some of the whiners on /. I think that pricing and scheme is a good idea. But...

While it will work stand-alone, from what I understand, these things will work best a) in a clump (mesh net, proximity display, video conferencing <g>, etc.) and b) with the back-end server somewhere around (for updates, backups, etc.). So what about that? I'm not an accredited school, so that I could get my hands on the server part. And I'm not sure I can get other people in my neighborhood to buy these. Since my kids are a arguably bit on the young side for them anyway (1.5, 3.5), and OTOH since the 3.5yo is already using Child's Play, Tux Paint and other stuff on the Ubuntu laptop in the kitchen, should I even bother?

Later,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.