Eric on 26 Sep 2007 03:56:48 -0000

Re: Community standards (was Re: [PLUG] What next? and small rant [VMware on Ubuntu])

Matt Mossholder wrote:
> Greg,
> 	It isn't just you, it is the whole thread. Instead of continuing to
> argue about it, and repeating some of the things that people said the
> found offensive in the first place, how about we just try and keep
> things somewhat on topic.
>
> 	The bonus of this approach is that it becomes very hard to offend
> anyone, intentionally or not. Nothing is wrong with humor, but if you
> wouldn't feel comfortable with a joke in a business setting, it probably
> isn't appropriate for the list either.
>
> 	Just my $0.02.
>
> 		--Matt

Sadly, I must add a small bit to this thread before it dies the good  and
natural death...

Bingo.  Matt is correct... context.  The remark had an offensive connotation in
a work or mixed group setting and should not be posted here.  The poster has
apologized [profusely, I might add] and suggested we move on.  I agree.

By the way... I offer to the guys that keep saying "it means to marry a stripper
and make her a wife - what's wrong with that?" that you spend a short amount of
time with an English dictionary:

    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mount
       [See: definition 3 for the verb mount]

and/or

    http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary
       then click mount[2,verb] in the listbox and [See: 1(b)2]

... as if you did not already know.

Eric
--
#  Eric Lucas