gabriel rosenkoetter on 1 Oct 2007 20:11:00 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Experience with Verizon FIOS & wireless installation

At 2007-09-30 15:11 -0400, Sonny To <son.c.to@gmail.com> wrote:
> anyone know when FIOS will be available in the city?

I understand, from postings on dslreports.com, that it is available,
somewhat, in certain CC apartment buildings already. (FiOS to the
building, then VDSL to your unit in the building.) See, for example:

  http://www.dslreports.com/comment/2568/59608

I recently moved from the 'burbs to within Philadelphia, but a bit
further away from the middle of things (2nd and Girard; 19122 zip
code) where FiOS was definitively not available. "Yet," I'm told by
Verizon support.

(And where Speakeasy refused service, because Covad's not in the
local CO--presumably, because Verizon won't let them in any more,
which leaves me stuck with Verizon DSL. It has yet to maintain 24
consecutive hours of connectivity, and it's been a week and a half.
And this is a business line, not that apparently provides any sort
of SLA or customer notification of maintenance for Verizon. My
frustration knows few bounds at this point.)

I'd guess it'd be reasonable to hope to see FiOS in parts of the
city with a substantial number of likely customers (read, post-
gentrification) next year.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net