gabriel rosenkoetter on 2 Oct 2007 19:20:48 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Verizon FIOS & open wireless

At 2007-10-02 12:56 -0400, Brian Vagnoni <bvagnoni@v-system.net> wrote:
> Since you seem to doubt my word. I suggest you go lurk on forums
> like netstumbler.org and google for your proof.

Thanks, I'm well aware of those terms and the documentation and
communities that exist around them on the Internet.

That proves that people discuss ways to use other people's networks.
That does not prove that use of open wireless for nefarious purposes
is widespread nor more widespread now than it was 5 years ago.

Do you have any proof of those assertions?

> How am I smearing the the Intelligence Services of the US by
> stating that if someone were to hijack an Internet connection and
> then use said connection to send otherwise hateful or terroristic
> threats to the white house that it wouldn't in some way be the duty
> of the secret service to investigate all said incidents and people
> involved. Gab that's just SOP, they take all threats seriously?

Taking a threat serious and jumping to the conclusion that the NAT
system from behind which that threat arrived is responsible for
sending the threat are two different things. You are impugning the
intelligence of the law enforcement bodies involved when you suggest
that they're too dumb to realize that (though the much more common
case would be a zombied Windows PC). They are, and have been. They
would follow up, no doubt, but they wouldn't show up on the doorstep
and hall people's computers away. That just doesn't happen any more,
because the law enforcment agencies are much more technically
literate than when they did that sort of thing in the '80s.

(Incidentally, I spell the abbreviation of my first name "Gabe".)

> Enjoy your search.

My search for what, precisely? I'm well aware of what you're
suggesting I should research. I'm asking you to support your claims
that open wireless has been used nefariously, and the owner of that
open wireless paid the price. It's not my obligation to prove the
converse.

At 2007-10-02 10:30 -0400, jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:
> gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> > Can you produce a single shred of evidence that this has "become
> > popular"?
> The recent FBI spambot roundup.

Reference, please?

> The Chinese are now reported to be hacking *everybody*, regardless of
> country.  The many security lists I read.  Check your logs.  I'm talking
> security in general.

Those sorts of attacks aren't new, nor do they have anything to do
with wireless network security (which inherently requires physical
proximity). Leaving a door open for people walking down my street is
different than leaving one open for all of APNIC. I don't do the
latter. (I don't, really, do the former: being on my open wireless
doesn't put you any closer to my systems.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net