W. Chris Shank on 2 Oct 2007 19:25:17 -0000

[PLUG] Single Port KVM - IP based

I'm looking for an inexpensive solution for remote access to PC or server at the console level. I'm envisioning a small box with KVM inputs on one side and ethernet on the other. You would then use somethink like VNC to access the console of the PC.

Why single port? Because it should only be used as a temporary way to access a PC or server remotely for troubleshooting. Using the RAC cards is not an option because it's not practical to install the card into random machines when this capability is needed.

From what I can gather, what I want doesn't exist, but this comes pretty close: http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=AP5456
There are many solutions that are 8 or 16 ports and are REALLY expensive. I just need one port.

Would it be possible to build this box? A small form factor PC running linux, VNC, and video input card??

--
W. Chris Shank
ACE Technology Group, LLC