zuzu on 2 Oct 2007 20:18:52 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Verizon FIOS & open wireles

  • From: zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Verizon FIOS & open wireles
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 16:18:47 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=uPrGyqIY3/YtZhEjpKGqaybfLcYgLeuZr5FLqQzxLws=; b=hBV8UaS6tdsUJ+Vg0qmwEqt1B121EqT1rsjYZPZVInbLvxT52FYLqPm5UhjgVnVdYyZXZV3bwsZX7R1T9lfVlgtkNNjKPylBZCCk3aplgYTCmR1I+4+bTUUsGhYutY03yVwu7//ocE9hFTmeime6gjbqIBzzTWOQs0i1bzbYAyk=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 10/2/07, Holden Backup <holdenergy1@gmail.com> wrote:
> zuzu wrote:
> > the "piggybacking problem" smells like FUD the same way that the "spam
> > problem" has always been FUD.  (it's called naive bayesian filtering;
> > install one and practically never see spam again.)
>
> I really don't think spam is FUD. It's a real problem to me. I have tried
> Spambayes, and now the Bayesian filter in Thunderbird and they just don't
> work well for me, no matter how diligently I train them. I also get slightly
> different results on 3 different computers (probably as a result of
> different training I suppose).
>
> In my opinion the Thunderbird junk mail controls took a significant step
> backwards with version 2.0 causing me to have to downgrade back to 1.5.
>
> I have had to resort to keyword filtering at my mail host, along with Spam
> Assassin, and still using T-Bird and I am STILL seeing too many...
>
> Are there secrets you can share? How many spams were you getting and what is
> it down to now? For reference, I get about 250 - 300 junk mails per day on
> my main account and I am down to about 15 in my Inbox now - but most are so
> obviously junk I can't understand how they make it through Spam Assassin,
> then T-Bird's filter. I also get a lot of false positives from Spam Assassin
> so I can't trust it to delete those it marks as spam - I have to manually do
> it.
>
> Again, what is the secret to your success?

for this gmail account, whatever google does works quite well.  (I
imagine they simply have the power of aggregating everyone's spam for
effective global categorization of spam.)

for private accounts, long ago on linux POPfile and bogofilter worked
well.  until recently I've been on OSX for a few years and Mail.app's
built-in filter was fine, although I squeezed some extra "nines" (ala
six-sigma) out of using JunkMatcher for about a year:
http://junkmatcher.sourceforge.net/Home/index.html

but recently Mail.app / CoreData blew up because I have over a decade
of email and there are limits to however Apple software designers
implemented SQLite or something.  so I'm switching back to GNUS with
an IMAP server; I'd like to think I'll remember to follow up on this
thread once I do. :p