Brian Stempin on 2 Oct 2007 20:21:10 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Single Port KVM - IP based

  • From: "Brian Stempin" <brian.stempin@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Single Port KVM - IP based
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 16:21:00 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=s0zDcMqWge7GYXghz7iH+PRWqnIhJm587dRlVUJgY44=; b=pglNFnpNsPMFgSYBT+YDOqzJzfaJUhstKSdU23BgRaCwSbvFbfKg5g3PU5RuIEcItkpsGGHPcH6EU54uylVDmMqGDqDMbVi4BD4w25NMFzB6B+IKZNpsrQghTmec89pC4w3SWUJG97pN0HGylj56P/zlZJ3GVJI8EwklsR7Fs3M=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

What's the difference between the APC unit and the Avocent unit?

On 10/2/07, Matt Ayres <matta@tektonic.net > wrote:
W. Chris Shank wrote:
> I'm looking for an inexpensive solution for remote access to PC or
> server at the console level. I'm envisioning a small box with KVM
> inputs on one side and ethernet on the other. You would then use
> somethink like VNC to access the console of the PC.
>
> Why single port? Because it should only be used as a temporary way to
> access a PC or server remotely for troubleshooting. Using the RAC
> cards is not an option because it's not practical to install the card
> into random machines when this capability is needed.
>
> From what I can gather, what I want doesn't exist, but this comes
> pretty close:
> http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=AP5456
> There are many solutions that are 8 or 16 ports and are REALLY
> expensive. I just need one port.

Sure, here you go:

http://www.avocent.com/web/en.nsf/Content/DSR1024

Regards,