W. Chris Shank on 3 Oct 2007 02:42:52 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Single Port KVM - IP based

Unfortunately, my requirement is that it must work with PCs and servers and not be dependent on another PC or server being nearby. Additionally, specifically for remote troubleshooting of windows PCs, going into safe mode is often necessary and when in that mode, the PC has no direct network ability. So what I'm looking for would need to work for this case as well.

I was hoping to find or build something for a few hundred dollars. So far, most of what i've seen are in the $900+ range.

----- Original Message -----
From: John Von Essen <john@essenz.com>
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 2, 2007 5:41:46 PM GMT-0500
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Single Port KVM - IP based

Chris,

Do you just need VT100 console access or do you want KVM capability to a graphical desktop.

There are a few single port KVM-over-IP units out there, and they range in price from $450 to $700.

However, if you just need console access, most modern servers now can do console redirection to the serial port. So with an RS-232 cable you can get access to pre-boot stuff like Bios and Lilo/Grub menu. And when the machine boots, you'll then have access to a tty for login.

If you have multiple machines, you can connect machine A to machine B, so if machine B craps out, you access it via machine A and so on. Or you can by a serial console server (8- or 16-port) for around $800. I am pretty sure the latest Dells have serial console redirection, and would imagine others do it to. This all started back in 1999-2000 when Intel's server motherboards (like the L440GX) featured this serial console redirection, and was very popular among Linux/BSD users. So others copied it.

-John