John Von Essen on 3 Oct 2007 03:29:47 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: Single Port KVM - IP based

Chris,

They do make KVM-over-IP PCI cards, but they are just as expensive as the stand-alone web-based KVM-over-IP units.

You can get a decent 1 port unit for around $500. I you need multiple ports, a common solution is to pair a 1 port KVM-over-IP unit with a traditional 8-port KVM. Using the function keys, you can switch the KVM ports, so it effectively gives you 8 ports. Figure $500-$600 for the KVM-over-IP unit, then maybe $200 for a regular 8-port KVM.

-John

On Oct 2, 2007, at 10:40 PM, W. Chris Shank wrote:

Do you know of a laptop that handles video, mouse, and keyboard input? Is there a PC card you can put into it for this?

----- Original Message -----
From: jim fisher <jedijf@myfisher.org>
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: Tuesday, October 2, 2007 7:19:08 PM GMT-0500
Subject: [PLUG] Re: Single Port KVM - IP based

On Oct 2, 2007, at 3:21 PM, W. Chris Shank wrote:

> I'm looking for an inexpensive solution for remote access to PC or
> server at the console level. I'm envisioning a small box with KVM
> inputs on one side and ethernet on the other. You would then use
> somethink like VNC to access the console of the PC.
>
> Why single port? Because it should only be used as a temporary way
> to access a PC or server remotely for troubleshooting. Using the
> RAC cards is not an option because it's not practical to install
> the card into random machines when this capability is needed.
>
> From what I can gather, what I want doesn't exist, but this comes
> pretty close: http://www.apc.com/resource/include/
> techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=AP5456
> There are many solutions that are 8 or 16 ports and are REALLY
> expensive. I just need one port.
>
> Would it be possible to build this box? A small form factor PC
> running linux, VNC, and video input card??

How about an old laptop running Puppy or DSL.

That should handle it.

jim fisher
]edijf

irc freenode  #ubuntu-pennsylvania

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try.'"
  --  Jedi Master Yoda

--
W. Chris Shank
ACE Technology Group, LLC

Security Note: To protect against computer viruses,
e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving
certain types of file attachments. Check your e-mail
security settings to determine how attachments are
handled.
Philadelphia Linux Users Group         --        http://www.phillylinux.org

John Von Essen (john@essenz.com)

President, Essenz Consulting www.essenz.com