Brian Stempin on 3 Oct 2007 03:17:21 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Verizon FIOS & open wireless

  • From: "Brian Stempin" <brian.stempin@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Verizon FIOS & open wireless
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 23:17:11 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=4hRoRpmfaJJLgYpI98QORCLUrKwy2I0302dOZ5ZjXgM=; b=GDPa+wOacaKXeJZtoAfFllhP29l2uwFGEIodGQ1SbIO5KlFefKKMBNEYZiI4YnHv23i2CVccS7A/rCUr9+4ZATqB4XZ02CcaZt81BA276ak7nxncdSGf870BkY73W3RPHHezWOb1X8u14/1M0oLNfj0tkJYoN3Q3iTVu7J3rl5k=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

... and my (and, I think, several others') suggestion is that you
are protecting against a threat model that simply does not exist,
restricting traffic in ways whose cost do not justify their benefit
for most people. They may for you, given your own personal
cost/benefit analysis, but it's not appropriate to prescribe your
security to the rest of the world absent the suggestion that they
should reach their own conclusions.

I wanted to take a few lines to respond to this and this alone for a few reasons:

1)  The threat model most certainly exists.  That is not the question.  The questions are (a) do you defend against it? and (b) if yes, how would you do so?  To simply state that the threat doesn't exist is a display of short-sightedness.  Just because you have the time/patience to deal with the authorities doesn't mean that other are able or willing to do the same.

2)
it's not appropriate to prescribe your
security to the rest of the world absent the suggestion that they
should reach their own conclusions.

If I recall correctly, this whole thread started because someone explicitly asked for advice on securing and administering wireless networks.  I'm pretty sure that I'm not "prescribing", if you will, any more than you are.  I didn't realize that responding to a question meant that I was spreading FUD and forcing my opinion upon others.  What next?  I guess I must also be tunnel-visioned for disagreeing with someone with an opposing opinion.  Geez...