Matthew Rosewarne on 3 Oct 2007 03:50:12 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Verizon FIOS & open wireless

On Tuesday 02 October 2007, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> It becomes abusive when that connection is used either to download
> large quantities of data (regardless of copyright infringements
> involved) or to transmit various quantities of data (from spam to
> bomb threats).

To nit pick a bit, I'd say it's important to consider the value model here.
Leaving your front door open/car unlocked so that dastardly cutpurses steal
your treasure has absolutely nothing to do with this situation.  If you use
QoS to give your own clients priority over other peoples' clients, you aren't
deprived of any of the bandwidth you paid for, while others still get to use
your network.  You lose nothing, everyone else gains something, so the net
result is positive.

The matter of inappropriate use is a tricky one.  However, I doubt the
possibility of inappropriate use outweighs the benefits to well-behaved
users.

%!PS: Find out the range of your network and procure something pointy and/or
flammable.  Should you notice someone abusing your network, you know where to
find them...