gabriel rosenkoetter on 3 Oct 2007 03:48:11 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Verizon EVDO & open iPhones

At 2007-10-02 22:09 -0400, zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com> wrote:
> personally I wish the iPhone were naturally open, so I could use "it
> just works" with T-Mobile, and then use the iPhone's 802.11 ("the
> standard in wireless fidelity" == :gag: ) with T-Mobile's
> "HotSpot@home" GAN/UMA.

You can do those things, so long as you have an iPhone with firmware
1.0.2 or below, for the moment. Unless you care to pick one up and
contribute, don't bitch if it takes a while for that to be true for
the 1.1.1 firmware, but it will be soon enough.

> (also, is it true that the iPhone has no manual mode in iTunes, and
> that it doesn't show up as a mass storage device like every other
> iPod?)

That is true, but the maximum capacity is *eight* gigabytes. That's
not "mass" by anybody's definition of the word. I can fill / on this
thing with scp(1) via 802.11G in the time it takes me to shower
without bothering to wash my hair.

It's mildly frustrating that you can't just drag text files across
to it, except that it's a full-fledged Darwin (newer major version
that Mac OS X, actually) build, and OpenSSH works just fine, so, you
know, crontabbed rsync works to get my shopping list on it...

> p.s. when will any equipment manufacturer learn that Bluetooth does
> _so much more_ than headsets?

SonyEricsson did that five years ago, they just have lousier marketing
than Apple, as difficult as that is to wrap one's head around.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net