zuzu on 3 Oct 2007 03:04:34 -0000

Re: [PLUG] tofu mail

  • From: zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] tofu mail
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 23:04:28 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=3Z47JY7VYbIrQDKdBIXr49DODBa14wZb9IkzwSO2K4U=; b=TofSaOllFsKdAYRZCvC5K0AYkAwonTY52bZ8ju3BRrAHMd8uruXTkqPR3yiFw4QvkbUp4BBSihamq6yAU24h66MSF5ZQeRknlgPROOoz0/BDNnNFQk8end9HE1ZTW5/6Z5c+T7AVRGHgwcJJ11Q7iARNr+BDP152cPcL40Spwow=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 10/2/07, gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net> wrote:
> I'm in the process of responding to a heap of messages in a thread
> here right now.
>
> I'm not going to get into the politics of top replies and so forth,
> not just because it's just too religious to touch, but because I'm a
> culprit at this point. I've given in, at work, to Outlook and,
> away-but-at home, to the iPhone Mail.app (a simple Applescript
> binding makes it easy to respond Properly in the regular Mac OS X
> Mail.app, so not there, and obviously never in my preferred MUA,
> mutt(1)).
>
> So, I don't plan to shriek at anyone over top-replies here, even
> though I still believe that they are inconsiderate of one's
> correspondents and readers... but even when your MUA makes it
> painful to avoid top-replies, it's still possible, in a sustained
> conversation, to trim the tailings. I just did 30dd in vi(1), and,
> in doing so, removed four duplications of the same mailing-list-
> added footers.
>
> Pretty please with a berry of your choice on top: show a little
> respect for your correspondents.

I try my best to reply Properly; my will was forged in the pits of
USENET.  I've even been chastised by the "AOLers" for *not* replying
at the top (as early as 1999!).

though I've mellowed (in an cask of "new media theory") to understand
that we have different cultures from different waves of immigrants
here into cyberspace.  (I think I've personally witnessed at least 5
generations of cultures pass through the slashdot commentarium.  I've
had people correct me that "0wn" should be spelled "pwn".  et
ceteras.)  tracing the lineages and mapping the boundaries of such
subcultures is a job for someone like danah boyd, but I'd probably
read her weblog post about it.

however, I do wax nostalgic for the heady days when the WELL and
financial cryptography was the calm eye at the center of the memetic
maelstrom of the internet.

I would never have bet on Larry Lessig being correct with what he
wrote in 'Code' when it was first published.  I figured copyright
would have been declared dead while we all use DigiCash instead of
PayPal (or even Federal Reserve Notes) and our personal smart agents
help us tidy up our distributedly-hosted Wikipedia/everything2 by now.
 also we'd be wearing lightweight goggles, like sony's glasstron
improved, rather than continuing to read off of screens.

I still expect alot more "Snow Crash" and alot less "Clash of the
Civilizations" from this world.

oh yeah, and wasn't "dark fibre" supposed to create virtually
limitless bandwidth and completely transform the economics of online
activity?  instead I have to hear FUD about the "exabyte flood" and
"net neutrality".

in conclusion, "Web 2.0" kinda sucks. </rant>