lists . plug on 4 Oct 2007 14:44:26 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Survey: who drives a stick shift?

Hello,

Longtime lurker, infrequent poster here, but happen to have a spare
$0.02 for the discussion...

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 01:11:26 -0400, "JP Vossen" <jp@jpsdomain.org> said:
> I drive a stick.
> Who else?

I am sadly stuck with an automatic Subaru Forester -- bought it used, it
was a great deal. But what saves it (sort of) is that the transmission
still does have four speeds and allows you to select one as an upper
limit. In 3rd, for instance, it will do its auto thing up to 3rd gear,
but won't shift above that. So I can still do engine breaking. I've
tried shifting it on the fly to improve acceleration etc but the shifter
doesn't give enough postive feedback when you're in a new gear (they're
all in a line, not the manual trans H-pattern) so it's hard to do.

Mike