Art Alexion on 4 Oct 2007 17:41:20 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Survey: who drives a stick shift?

On Thursday 04 October 2007 09:24:53 Greg Lopp wrote:
> I learned how to drive a stick in a church parking lot in 1995 with the
> instruction and patience of my then girlfriend.

Somethings change and others don't.  My girlfriend taught me how to drive a
stick on her '68 Camaro after my dad nearly had a breakdown trying to teach
me on his '64 Mercury Comet.  (The Comet had a 3-speed in an H pattern on the
column and a very loose clutch.)  I don't think it was so much her patience
as my need not to embarrass myself in front of her.

I learn on a steel mill parking lot and not a church parking lot because in
1970 Coatesville, PA, there were a lot more steel mill parking spaces than
there were church parking spaces.  That has changed too.