Edward Smola on 5 Oct 2007 15:52:39 -0000

Re: [PLUG] spam traps and solutions

On Oct 5, 2007, at 10:59 AM, Sean C. Sheridan wrote:

Does anyone have a good solution that I can implement on my fedora box that will trap the crap and never create a false positive?

I've received 15 spam in the time it took to write this email, please save
me...

If your running your own mail server, are you using greylisting. That step alone solved a bulk of my junk mail issues. Recently a config change happened that disabled my greylisting and I could tell quite quickly that something was wrong by the volume of spam that started coming in. I put it back in and immediately saw the drop in spam back to manageable levels.

I've also tried out 3rd party apps for mail.app that seem to solve my problems for accounts that I don't have control over... spamsieve is a pay solution and junkmatcher is free one. For me using some client side rules and plugins has got me seeing almost no spam or false positives(your milage my vary) after a little bit of training. So look around for some client plugins that could give you a hand in managing your defenses. What options are available to you will vary on your mail app of choice.