Stewart B Lone on 8 Oct 2007 03:09:40 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: multiplexing speakers?

JP Vossen wrote:
> I have several machines in a server closet in my office.  Right now
>  I have 2 sets of speakers in my office, but now I need 3.  Rather
> than buying yet another set and building another extension cord, is
>  anyone aware of a good way to "multiplex" or share them?
>
> I'd say that they won't all be in use at the same time, but that
> might not be true.  I can live with manual switching or only
> allowing 2 at a time to work.
>
> I'd also assume that just building some kind of "Y" cable would be
> a bad idea, e.g. it might fry the sound cards?  Like: [PC / sound
> card 1]---\ \_________[speakers] [PC / sound card 2]---/
>
> TIA, JP
> ----------------------------|:::======|-------------------------------
>  JP Vossen, CISSP            |:::======|
> jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org My Account, My Opinions     |=========|
> http://www.jpsdomain.org/
> ----------------------------|=========|-------------------------------
>  Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law. Innate design
> flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus and
> anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
> has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.

I think what you need[If "they" dont sell it as a product, you can
make it yourself] is a transformer with the input having the same
impedance as the output of your sound card. On the output side you
need three outputs[pairs] with the same impedance as your speakers. If
I remember correctly speaker impedances usually fall around 8 ohms.
You would have to take into consideration the draw that the
transformer would put on the output of your sound card. If you were to
build yourself, I know that pretty much all the components you would
need are available at "Mouser". they are googleable. Their customer
sevice guys are very knowledgable and in my experience would probably
guide you in selecting the correct transformer. the rest of the box
would just be connectors. and rudimentary soldering

HTH
Stewart