JP Vossen on 8 Oct 2007 19:49:53 -0000

[PLUG] Re: OT: multiplexing speakers = solved, more or less

JP Vossen wrote:
I have several machines in a server closet in my office. Right now I have 2 sets of speakers in my office, but now I need 3. Rather than buying yet another set and building another extension cord, is anyone aware of a good way to "multiplex" or share them?

Thanks for all the great suggestions! The sound mixer is basically what I was thinking of, and I should have known that. I spent a few minutes looking around the 'Net but didn't see anything likely. I seem to recall Radio Shack had a relatively inexpensive, very small 2-3 channel mixer 15 or 20 years ago, but it doesn't seem like they have it anymore.

For now, I'm going with the quick & dirty solution of running 3 25' extension cords out to my desk. One will be dedicated, the other two I'll just switch back and forth by manually plugging/unplugging for now. I don't expect that to happen too often anyway, but it it gets tedious I'll just build a switch box; I may have already have all the parts for that. Or I might run across a <$25 mixer? Doubtful, I guess.

The sound "chain" idea was great. I'd never have thought of that. Two out of three of the devices seem to have line-in, so it might work. I may try it if I get some free time to play.

And as far as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superposition_principle goes, not on a Monday! That just made my head hurt. :-)

Anyway, thanks!
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.