jeff on 8 Oct 2007 21:14:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: OT: multiplexing speakers = solved, more or less

JP Vossen wrote:
> recall Radio Shack had a relatively inexpensive, very small 2-3 channel
> mixer 15 or 20 years ago, but it doesn't seem like they have it anymore.

If you do something like this, pay attention to your impedences and
levels.  Soundcards are set up to drive speakers directly, but at low
levels.  Most people plug in powered speakers (thus putting two amps in
the path).

Your mixer has to be able to handle the soundcard's level and impedence.
 It should handle the impedence by default.  After that, it probably
requires some make-up gain or it won't have the required level to drive
the speakers.

I'm aware of a RS battery powered mixer and a larger ac unit.  Battery
unit probably won't work.  The greater the mismatch, the greater the
effect on the sound (never mind the possibility of blowing something up).

> that.  Or I might run across a <$25 mixer?  Doubtful, I guess.

ebay is your friend.