george on 8 Oct 2007 21:09:02 -0000

[PLUG] Re: IceApe's composer won't show tags in a simple HTML page

George Langford wrote with trembling hands:

Having recently upgraded my debian PC's from sarge to etch, I've been dismayed to find negative progress:

1. IceApe's Composer won't show the tags in an HTML page; instead,
    the formatting gets scrambled and no tag images appear where the
    new blanks form.  Fortunately, nothing is permanently changed.
    However, the page I'm editing has nearly 100 links, and I'd like
    to insert tags so that the reader can return to a range of entries
    in the original page without just using his browser's BACK button.
    Are there any alternative WYSIWYG HTML editors that are in the etch
    distribution ?

... snippage

The troublesome HTML page under edit is here:
http://www.georgesbasement.com/mfno135typestudy/index.htm

It's worse than I thought. I checked my recently installed copy of SeaMonkey on a WinXPSP2 laptop - and its composer displays the exact same behavior as IceApe's composer as described above. Have I somehow scrambled that webpage, or were these Netscape look-alikes released a little prematurely ? Somewhere in the defaults is there a magic check box that returns everything to normal ? I have looked, and when I do a search (in text mode) for "#" I can see that the tags are still there in the HTML sourcecode.

George Langford