K.S. Bhaskar on 9 Oct 2007 02:23:13 -0000

Re: [PLUG] obvious question? Ubuntu/VMware

  • From: "K.S. Bhaskar" <bhaskar@bhaskars.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] obvious question? Ubuntu/VMware
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 22:23:09 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; bh=4lBSNTgp7XLPtRYHuKTHFMAurmlRt9kdtwVk03j7oO4=; b=Vqlk6eS0cJI/QB0nfdAJT6oK4+ghtxFovIpcxrSi7yRG+d6+tboL0zbOxueG4shagMXIN+IBzSysSdZzRCcVzPoc6EX4D3Dt70PqZA5VKTMVjYLCIc6mjtMYWY73+en52llbpBrt2Ga/w0dUXkGdSCX7gD5+nrgKLSYXK9bsvmc=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

I agree with Matt that QEMU easier to use.

When QEMU works, it works well and I try to use it.  But QEMU has its
own idiosyncrasies - not qemu itself which works well, but rather the
kernel modules kqemu and kvm (depending on CPU capabilities), without
which qemu runs too slowly to be useful except for demos.  On my
laptop kqemu works about 5% of the time.  At other times, the virtuous
machine hangs, repeatedly reboots or otherwise engages in less than
useful behavior.

I have both vmware and qemu virtual machines for those infrequent
occasions when I must run XP, and have been fortunate that, I have
never been at a point in time where neither QEMU nor vmware worked.

Regards
-- Bhaskar