Louis Kratz on 9 Oct 2007 19:49:50 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Optiplex with i810 video

  • From: "Louis Kratz" <louis.kratz@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Optiplex with i810 video
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 15:49:45 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=hPT+DStNX/nxxL3cPF58NYCmbd3ogmw/h5FRIiw1idc=; b=iAUJyIyoYUQCxsa1ZxkAq9RXS3So4jaqFjh67RjxpkHqs4Io0Zfbt6LoOWhPOMgFhQhRs0kvwqwsA6i026RhpWUaV8sVBqoZdVrETB1YS9/5Yip+rxGMIVZ7X3IUEUyX8X/p3jGKZUMYhYvvwwh+UlXAvzEe7SZ21QnfGMyaL44=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

I have had similar odd experiences with my dell inspiron 700m.  It works in wide screen with the following configuration:
Resolution of 1280x768
i810 xorg driver
I "flash" the card with the 915resolution utility (you can get this in fiesty, not sure about other versions).  Since it needs to flash the card, this has to run before you start Xorg.  I believe that ubuntu includes the rc-script when you install it.

The card in the laptop is an intel 855, which by my understanding is similar to the i810, but this solution may not work on a "true" i810 card.

Hope this helps! My hardware acceleration works with this so you should see good performance.  Also, regardless of which resolution you use, the -monitoraspect flag for mplayer is really handy, especially if you are running mythvideo.

On 10/6/07, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
> Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 19:47:10 -0400
> From: "Brent Saner" <brent.saner@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Optiplex with i810 video
>
> can you attach, inlinequote, or pastebin your xorg.conf? i'm just
> curious to see what sort of config you have going

Attached and sent to Brent off-list.  Anyone else care to see a copy?

It's a mongrel of a stock Ubuntu xorg.conf from whatever Ubuntu version
I first got it working under (probably Dapper, maybe Dapper -1), plus
manual fiddling, plus a load of cruft injected by the new Gutsy X config
tool.

> Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 23:22:43 -0400
> From: jeff <jeffv@op.net>
> Subject: [PLUG] Ubuntu with i810 video - widescreen, new kernel...
>
> I have a vague recollection of the i810 problem when I first put
> Ubuntu on a Dell.  It took some research to locate the fix.  It was a
> tiny program that did something to `convince' the BIOS that the video
> card was not some generic unit with no memory.  The next Ubuntu found
> it by itself.

THAT sounds interesting!  Can you provide details or pointers for me to
go Google?  (Assuming the 915 driver below doesn't help.)

System; Admin; Screens and Graphics GUI shows:
        Graphics card   = Intel 845
        Driver          = i810
        Video Memory    = (automatic)   # grayed out

That could possibly explain why the MythTV frontend on the Optiplex GX
260 will not show video.  When I try to play a recording the screen goes
blank for a few seconds, then the Myth GUI comes back.  Judging from
some of the logs, I think it's crashing then being restarted.  But I
find this odd because the Myth frontend *does* play video on the Dell
PE-650 server hosting the Myth backend.  Since the Optiplex is a
workstation I'd have guessed its graphics would be better than
server-class graphics...  (Catch-22, no video at all on Optiplex, but it
has a sound card so things would work if I could only get video.  Video
(and closed captions) work on PE, but it has no sound and PCI slots are
full-up.  I could ass USB sound, but that's just silly.)

> I have the only laptop with Alzheimer's.

Don't you mean Type III (or is it IV) Diabetes?  (See /. for reference :)

> Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 23:45:32 -0400
> From: "Brent Saner" < brent.saner@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu with i810 video - widescreen, new kernel...
>      uh-oh
>
> the dell wouldn't happen to be an inspiron 1300/B130, would it?

Nope, Optiplex GX 260 (P4 3G HT, 1G RAM).

> if not, post "lspci -v" output for me as well as "lsmod"

Attached to off-list note.

> and have you heard if the 915resolution driver? there've been cases
> where the 915 driver works better than the i810 (and of course, plenty
> of cases where the 915 doesn't work at all...)

I had not.  I just went with what Ubuntu detected.  How do I switch it,
just s/i810/i915/g; in xorg.conf?

Thanks for all the suggestions!
JP
JP Vossen, CISSP            |:::======|        jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org
My Account, My Opinions     |=========|      http://www.jpsdomain.org/
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.