zuzu on 10 Oct 2007 03:12:37 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Mac OS X question

  • From: zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] OT: Mac OS X question
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 23:12:32 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=pg5sJhAgawwm3E8QbUmOxJbbivOWznReb3K3Hddh/a4=; b=ZDGVcGVzisdC2IOOcGJyotQ/CmSQYHQHT2b8ll1FbG4EPCblOsp7OggdOY0HTAT+KWEu7XIxKsnoKaH4X7kliODViNIUc1saueHC2gHGEYja31iygt1QwwKDdprdtgACrTqu05DQI9CFd0zMDUlzXc47agP4YWmq83HMuXV7hBw=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 10/9/07, Mag Gam <magawake@gmail.com> wrote:
> Planning to get a Mac.
>
> Does it support Java (JRE) well?

yes, I think so.  I can't think of anything Java that I've tried to
run and had a problem with.  I'm pretty sure Apple keeps up with the
releases (I see them in Software Update from time to time), but I also
think Apple has deprecated the Java-Cocoa bridge.  (apparently most
people are willing to learn Objective-C / Cocoa rather than sticking
with Java; this was a genuine concern when OSX was new.)

> Also, how hard is it to upgrade Memory on a
> MacBook? Planning to get 1GB of RAM, but would like to upgrade to 2GB or
> even 4GB if possible.
> Any thoughts?

*DEFINITELY* max out your RAM to 4GB; OSX is a RAM hog and probably
should be running on 8GB if the laptop hardware supported it.

I haven't had to work on a MacBook yet, but usually there are
step-by-step guides for all their hardware.  I've done upgrade work on
a TiBook, a Mac Mini, and an iPod without /too/ much trouble, although
the clips rather than screws on the Mini and iPod annoy me greatly.
actually, isn't the MacBook marketed as being really easy to upgrade
the hard drive and RAM on?  it just "pops out" with an easy access
port arm or something.